The Ontario Government has mandated a vaccine passport for all patrons over the age of 12 (who don’t qualify for an exemption) for indoor dining starting Wednesday September 22, 2021. In October a QR code will come into effect to make the process simpler.
Dining on patios, takeout and delivery will not require any proof of vaccination. To see a list of other indoor spaces requiring proof of vaccination please visit the Government of Ontario website.
You will need both a proof of vaccination as well as valid identification.
Proof of Vaccination
(a) an Ontario receipt issued at the time of vaccination or any format of receipt downloaded from Ontario.ca that shows the holder is fully vaccinated against COVID-19
(b) a receipt signed by an Indigenous Health Provider, or
(c) a receipt from another jurisdiction that shows the holder is fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Validation of identification will also be required to ensure that the vaccination receipt belongs to them. Validation of vaccination will be based on two key identifiers:
(a)Name of the identification holder; and
(b)Date of birth.
A photo identification is not required.
Examples include: Birth certificate, Citizenship card, Driver’s license, Government (Ontario or other) issued identification card, including health card, Indian Status Card /Indigenous Membership Card, Passport, Permanent Resident card
There are some exemptions to the proof of vaccination.
- A patron who is entering an indoor area solely for the following purposes:
- to use a washroom;
- to access an outdoor area that can only be accessed through an indoor route;
- to make a retail purchase;
- while placing or picking up an order,
- while paying for an order;
- as may be necessary for the purposes of health and safety.
- Individuals who cannot receive the vaccine due to medical exemptions will be permitted entry with a doctor’s note until recognized medical exemptions can be integrated as part of a digital vaccine certificate.
- Children who are 11 years of age and younger and unable to be vaccinated will also be exempted from these requirements.
A friendly reminder that our local businesses are doing their best to survive during this pandemic and follow mandates being imposed on them. Most of our local restaurants couldn’t survive another lockdown and are just doing their best with very limited staff. The staff asking for your proof of vaccination are also often young hosts and your patience is always appreciated.
Please continue to social distance and wear a mask. Be kind and enjoy all the deliciousness Burlington has to offer!